If you've seen TBD: the Improvised Musical, or any of the other musical improv comedy around Columbus or on shows like "Whose Line is it Anyway?", you've seen that magic often happens when music and improv collide. On-the-spot stories and emotions brought to life with music add an element to a performance that audiences and performers alike, love.
In this improvised musical workshop, TBD: the Improvised Musical's creator, Sarah J Storer, and founding cast member, Alex Dodge, will work with students to learn and understand:
- How to improvise music, create rhymes and build strong choruses in the moment
- How to leverage music to enhance emotion and character
- How to harness the power of group numbers, "I Want" songs and duets
- How to create rich harmonies, in the moment
- How to build strong characters that drive a sustainable narrative (even if you don't have a strong music background)
This is a four hour workshop, with short breaks built in as necessary (please bring what you need to feel comfortable throughout the day, including water and/or snacks). Bring something to take notes.
Pre-requisites: Students should have taken at least one to two basic improv classes, or have at least one to two years equivalent performance experience. Some longform experience is preferred, but is not required.
Spots are limited for this class, so sign up soon! Group rates are available for existing troupes and teams...message for details.